From: Alec Joseph Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o, solar@g.o, ferringb@g.o, swegener@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-qa] Autorepoman/QA Goals
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:42:23
1 So all 3 of the people subscribed to this list have probably heard this
2 already, but I re-iterate here for those who don't spend their lives
3 staring at IRC backlogs.
4
5 The current QA team is definately short on overall goals. We have a lot
6 of people that are passionate about QA, and they all do their own thing
7 to contribute. However I think we can do better.
8
9 So step one is listing QA violations. Sure Repoman complains about
10 most, if not all of them and Mr Bones likes to squish the usurpers that
11 break dependencies in the tree. However I think some of them just pop
12 out at people and they have no clue how to fix them, or the fix isn't
13 easy, or they just don't know how to fix it so they ignore it.
14
15 Just as was discussed about making people work on Enterprise Gentoo, we
16 can't make poeple do QA who don't necessary care about it. And thats
17 not to say QA isn't important, or whatnot. I think a lot of people view
18 it as a PITA, and so they ignore any problems.
19
20 Step 2 is improving our QA tool. Sven has written Autorepoman. I have
21 half the code, and partly this mail is to ask Sven to release the other
22 half. Sven, I'd personally like to work on it, I know you have very
23 little time, and it may not be the dream tool you meant it to be. If
24 necessarily I may make an attempt to write my own tool, if you are wary
25 about releasing the code, although I'd prefer not to throw away code
26 you've already written.
27
28 The current repoman sucks, is not extensible and worse, is within
29 portage itself, bound to their release cycle, which in the past has been
30 pretty slow ( although it should be speeding up ). For now I volunteer
31 maintainership of the tool, primarily because in the 2.1 branch there
32 are a lot of changes and whomever maintains it will probably have to
33 have close ties with the portage team. The main problem with taking
34 repoman out of portage and into QA maintainership is that when devs use
35 ~arch versions of portage, Repoman tends to get castrated by the API
36 changes.
37
38 Step 3: Posting QA violations publically. By Publically, I mean to the
39 world. We would need a box to run the tool on and generate a webpage,
40 much like autorepoman does now ( although hopefully a bit prettier ).
41 Someone also suggested an internal ( lets it be dev-only or qa-only )
42 pig tree, that also lists who last touched each file that had a QA
43 violation. This is a toss up but may prove useful ( or foolhardy ) to keep.
44
45 Step 4: Having a tool to track QA violations, per-dev, per-herd,
46 per-project. I was thinking a record similar to like a GLSA, where we
47 simply record who/what/where/when/why/how and store it somewhere. Then
48 we can run reports on what projects sucked, what projects were good,
49 what devs suck, what devs were good, herds..etc...
50
51 Step 5: Helping devs help themselves. Most of the things in Repoman's
52 complaint list are automagically fixable. Repoman complains that the
53 ebuild is in cvs but the digest isn't, add the digest to cvs
54 automagically...or ebuild is missing HOMEPAGE, add HOMEPAGE="none", or
55 whatnot. Automation, This goes hand in hand with super sekrit goal #6
56
57 Step 6: QA must be Unobtrusive. We were joking in IRC that the title
58 should be "QA we take the fun out of developing." And while funny,
59 thats a bad attitude to have towards the situation. To that end we need
60 to be unobtrusive to developers to gain their support of QA. We need to
61 make good QA easy for devs to accomplish so they aren't hounded by
62 errors every time they commit and say fuck it QA sucks. I think a lot
63 of that has to do with tools that do the work for them, and while some
64 may argue that this will allow bad habits ( Oh I didn't know X was a QA
65 violation because repoman magically fixed it for me every time ), I
66 think partly #1 will mitigate that issue.
67
68 Lastly of course, we need to come up with a system of punishment to go
69 along with #4, in case a dev/project/herd is having issues keeping up
70 with QA. This is the most difficult issue IMHO, mostly because there
71 arne't a lot of avenues to go down, and DevRel seems quite stagnant
72 recently, although that mail on -dev from fmccor looks promising :)
73 Specifically we probably need some kind of group to review QA records
74 and enforce said punishments themselves, or through devrel as a liason
75 type deal.
76
77 Lots of stuff, I know solar had some ideas relating to arch teams, I've
78 cc'd a few people because I am not sure if they are subscribed ( sorry
79 if I ended up sending duplicate mails to you three ).
80
81 -Alec Warner (antarus)
82 --
83 gentoo-qa@g.o mailing list