From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] Support of other package managers
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 19:17:38
1 Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > As I see it, the tree is for Portage, and it is nice if it works with
3 > other package managers (such as pkgcore or paludis),
4
5 If anything, I see it the other way. By far our largest and most
6 valuable piece of code is the tree, and Portage exists to provide an
7 environment in which it can be of use.
8
9 > but I do not
10 > believe we should be making changes, of any kind, just to improve how
11 > their programs work. I have no problems with rewrites of Portage, but
12 > making changes to the live tree for something other than Portage does
13 > not seem to make sense to me. If we decide to recognize rewrites as
14 > official alternatives, then making changes makes sense, but until that
15 > point, I don't believe it does.
16
17 If someone were wanting to change existing parts of the tree for no
18 other reason than compatibility with another package manager, I'd agree
19 with you. I don't, however, see a problem in adding a self-contained
20 piece of code that has no effect on the rest of the tree.
23 gentoo-qa@g.o mailing list