From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-qa] splitting up package.mask
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 02:59:51
Hey guys,

I have an idea I'd like to run by the QA team.

For a user's portage preferences, we can have /etc/package.mask be a
file or a directory of files (package.mask/*) that will cumulatively
create the same effect.

Because package.mask in CVS for profiles is so huge, I think it might
help it to get organized if we split it up a bit.

halcyon had a good idea for the scheme: testing, broken, removal.  That
seems to sum up the main 3 reason that a package would be masked.

Right now there are 679 entries in package.mask.  The reason I came up
with the idea was to find a way to make it easier for treecleaners to
quickly see which ones they were working on.

I'd like to take the discussion to -dev but wanted to get QA's thoughts
first.  I haven't looked into whether or not this is technically
feasible at all.