From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-qa@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-qa] Support of other package managers
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 02:55:02

Mark Loeser wrote:
> This is the exact problem I'm trying to address. You'll never get all > of the projects to agree, since they all want to go in slightly > different directions and do different things. All three are great > ideas, but we should only support the one that is official for Gentoo, > and not make any changes to the tree. (Note: changes here is any > modification or addition of files in the tree for the sole purpose of > working with an alternate package manager)
I don't see any reason to include support for a non-official package manager in the official gentoo repo either (given that they can host their own repository and include whatever they want). For the sake of interoperability, I hope that the developers of these separate package managers can come together and agree on some specifications, but that's a topic for another list...