From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o, Gentoo-Base-System <base-system@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86-livecd - bugs and suggestions
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:43:28
Commenting inline below.

>> Bugs: >> - Calculation of module dependencies fails at bootup > > Anybody have a log?
reason for this is that /lib/modules/${KV} is off a read-only filesystem. It should not need to depmod that directory off a livecd, as we won't have removed modules, etc. An alternative approach would be to mount /lib/modules/${KV} on a tmpfs, make sure the sub directories are symlinks to the read-only fs, and copy the files like modules.pcimap to the tmpfs so they are writable... The first approach of just skipping the depmod if booting off a livecd is the better approach. Also, this failure really doesn't mean anything or do anything harmful, which is one reason I didn't fix it in my baselayout.
> >> - selection of keymap not possible > > We could add an alternative keymap script, that do that, and only > install with USE=livecd ... anybody got a template, etc to start > off?
this I don't have a clue about, so i'm not commenting on.
> >> - Inability to halt/reboot (system just stops when all processes are >> shut-down) > > Logs if possible?
The reason for this is quite simple. The livecd was built with the cdfs/loop type as 'normal' which creates a loopback filesystem. The loopback filesystem gets unmounted '_before_' everything else is remounted readonly. But since the loopback is readonly as well, it should never actually be being umounted before the reboot. The actual / filesystem is a tmpfs with symlinks back to the mounted loopback in this scenerio, so when you umount the loopback, the / filesystem has symlinks to nothing, hence the hang. This is not an issue if you use cdfs/loop type of zisofs or noloop as there is no loop device to be umounted.
> >> - Hardware-detection not included >> > > Sure will be nifty, but I guess catalyst should just install appropriate > package and add to boot runlevel? Do not see any special handling, or > am I missing something?
I had not gotten a chance to put together the livecd-tools package. That script, as well as net-setup is in there. Basically, it will just be a package that needs to be a dep in the livecd-stage1 packages, and a quick one-liner in the will get it all up and running, really a simple thing.
> > > As for 2.6 - think we can start to use module-init-tools as default for > ALL profiles, or is there ARCH issues I am not aware of? Should just > be needed to adjust the default virtual.
Right, as long as the current module-init-tools ebuild installs the insmod.old for 2.4 kernels. I believe at one time it did not. Even though I've stepped away from livecd stuff, I need to fix this stuff to build my amd64 2004.0 release anyhow. I'd take care of this since I'm more familiar with the problems if anyone wants me to. I can do that this weekend. -Brad House brad_mssw@g.o -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] x86-livecd - bugs and suggestions Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>