From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: davisjp@×××.edu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Release Info (long and thorough)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:52:10

On 10 Feb 2004, at 16:26, Brad House wrote:

>> - What architectures does genkernel support currently? > > I think the PPC people have pretty much refused to commit their > profile to that even though > I've asked on numerous occasions. Everyone seems to defer to someone > else. > It's really really easy guys! This genkernel was designed to be > multi-arch! > Please commit to gentoo/src/genkernel_bradmssw asap!
Sorry, but we don't have a profile to commit -yet-. What are our reasons? The ppc 2004.0 sneak preview livecds I uploaded yesterday were built entirely with catalyst, except for the initrd. We used our own initrd because a minimum requirement for a ppc release is stable gcloop decompression. Zisofs does not work on ppc. An updated ppc kde/gnome livecd has been requested upon by the store and our users for a while, I therefore prioritized releasing a 2004.0 <emphasis added>preview</emphasis added> over adding support to a Fisher Price tool, that because of its current simplicity we are unable to use for a release including a new kde/gnome livecd; The addition of gcloop support to genkernel is the responsibility of the genkernel maintainer, not ours. Another reason is your inability to communicate ppc64 livecd plans to me. I expect ppc64 livecds to be exactly the same as a regular ppc livecd. If I'm not mistaken you already announced ppc64 livecds on -dev, since you're also the genkernel developer, I would expect you to be qualified enough to integrate ppc livecd support yourself and allow me to spend more time on other assets important to gentoo. My question about this to this list (2 feb) is still unanswered. I'll repeat it here: "Is there a possibility ppc64 could integrate ppc32 livecd support into catalyst? If I'm not mistaken brad_mssw is closely related to both ppc64, catalyst, genkernel and even amd64 for which already livecds have been created using catalyst. I guess this would speed up development enourmeously." What is scheduled to happen? Genkernel will get its ppc profile before 2004.0/ppc. For an accurate eta, I need to be able to schedule time for it. What could help realizing that is better communication, having an idea about current plans for genkernel/catalyst, and better catalyst livecd documentation (genkernel docs are fantastic). I have asked for these on this list on the 2nd of this month in two separate emails. Best regards, Pieter -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list