From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: davisjp@×××.edu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Release Info (long and thorough)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:52:10
1 Hi,
2
3 On 10 Feb 2004, at 16:26, Brad House wrote:
4
5 >> - What architectures does genkernel support currently?
6 >
7 > I think the PPC people have pretty much refused to commit their
8 > profile to that even though
9 > I've asked on numerous occasions. Everyone seems to defer to someone
10 > else.
11 > It's really really easy guys! This genkernel was designed to be
12 > multi-arch!
13 > Please commit to gentoo/src/genkernel_bradmssw asap!
14
15 Sorry, but we don't have a profile to commit -yet-.
16
17 What are our reasons?
18
19 The ppc 2004.0 sneak preview livecds I uploaded yesterday were built
20 entirely with catalyst, except for the initrd. We used our own initrd
21 because a minimum requirement for a ppc release is stable gcloop
22 decompression. Zisofs
23 does not work on ppc. An updated ppc kde/gnome livecd has been
24 requested upon by the store and our users for a while, I therefore
25 prioritized releasing a 2004.0 <emphasis added>preview</emphasis added>
26 over adding support to a Fisher Price tool, that because of its current
27 simplicity we are unable to use for a release including a new kde/gnome
28 livecd; The addition of gcloop support to genkernel is the
29 responsibility of the genkernel maintainer, not ours.
30
31 Another reason is your inability to communicate ppc64 livecd plans to
32 me. I expect ppc64 livecds to be exactly the same as a regular ppc
33 livecd. If I'm not mistaken you already announced ppc64 livecds on
34 -dev, since you're also the genkernel developer, I would expect you to
35 be qualified enough to integrate ppc livecd support yourself and allow
36 me to spend more time on other assets important to gentoo. My question
37 about this to this list (2 feb) is still unanswered. I'll repeat it
38 here:
39
40 "Is there a possibility ppc64 could integrate ppc32 livecd support into
41 catalyst? If I'm not mistaken brad_mssw is closely related to both
42 ppc64, catalyst, genkernel and even amd64 for which already livecds
43 have been created using catalyst. I guess this would speed up
44 development enourmeously."
45
46 What is scheduled to happen?
47
48 Genkernel will get its ppc profile before 2004.0/ppc. For an accurate
49 eta, I need to be able to schedule time for it. What could help
50 realizing that is better communication, having an idea about current
51 plans for genkernel/catalyst, and better catalyst livecd documentation
52 (genkernel docs are fantastic). I have asked for these on this list on
53 the 2nd of this month in two separate emails.
54
55 Best regards,
56
57 Pieter