From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-releng] cascading profiles: the questions
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:06:46
1 Hi Seemant,
2
3 A few questions about the cascading profiles. (Without reading the
4 howto because I couldn't find the location where it was committed.)
5 Could you add the info to the howto if missing?
8 1. Inheriting the parent
9
10 gentoo-x86/profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.0 and some other directories
11 have parent set to ".". In most operating systems ".." is used to
12 indicate the parent directory. In most operating systems "." indicates
13 the current directory. Are these profiles inheriting themselves, or is
14 "." the new way of specifying the parent?
17 2. Package.build
18
19 Package.build is inherited too. Package.build defines an order in which
20 packages need to be emerged for stage1. What special syntax is provided
21 to do this? Can I add a package to the beginning, the end or to a
22 specific location of the packages.build I am inheriting from? My
23 current guess is that the entire packages.build is just overridden. How
24 does that relate to easier maintenance of a profile?
27 3. Packages
28
29 What syntax is provided to remove a package that is incorrectly listed
30 as required for the system profile in the parent profile? How are
31 conflicts handled?
34 4. Use.defaults and use.mask
35
36 The use.mask and use.defaults for the entire default-linux/x86
37 directory is empty. The base profile lists 'svga' as a default use
38 flag. On ppc it should be not default but masked. Should I:
39
40 a) touch the base profile and update all the inheriting profiles
41 committing to a large number of files at once, and fix the merge
42 conflicts
43 b) use some sort of syntax to undo the default use flag and add it as
44 use.mask for ppc, rendering the ppc top profile much larger to maintain
45
46 How does this relate to easier profile maintenance, scalability of
47 number of alternative architectures?
48 How can I find out what profiles inherit a profile?
51 5.default-linux
52
53 Couldn't you have used a cascading profile for this name too?
54
55 default/linux default/bsd ... instead of default-linux/ default-bsd/ ...
59 When considering inheritance, one should think about the following
60 aspects:
61
62 - overriding
63 - multiple inheritance
64 - circular inheritance (profiles inheriting each other)
65 - conflict resolution for simple and complex situations (profile A says
66 when installed, a package version should be larger than 1.4, and
67 another profile says it should be smaller than 1.6, ...)
68
69 Also, is there an easy way to check what are the profile settings
70 currently in effect, after applying inheritance etc?
71 What will be the preferred way to watch commits to shared profiles?
72 I guess catalyst will need to change to the bootstrap-cascading.sh.
73 Will catalyst place its output also in a deep directory
74 default/linux/x86/2004.0? When can we start testing this change to
75 catalyst? Have the catalyst maintainers be notified?
76
77 Please also read previous email when you're less busy. Feature 2 is
78 your feature and I already asked some of these questions there. I
79 really invest time in these emails because they affect one of the
80 area's I'm responsible for. I should be doing more important things.
81
82 Best regards,
83
84 Pieter Van den Abeele