From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Autobuilds go to /experimental and to /releases only when someone actually tests them?
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 19:51:40
1 On 29.07.2013 22:38, Matt Turner wrote:
2 >> The alternative here is the automated testing that I've talked about with
3 >> others on FOSDEM and Prague last year, but that still needs to be done.
4 >> Amongst other testing, the idea would be to pick the latest ISO and boot it
5 >> on some virtualization platform and catch the console output to ensure it
6 >> booted successfully and not tests failed.
7 >
8 > Some recent problems have involved linux-firmware being broken. I
9 > don't think virtualization will help notice that, e.g., the Tigon 3
10 > firmware is missing.
11
12 Ideally, you'd use virtualization and some concrete physical platforms
13 in parallel. For virtualization, KVM Qemu might be quick to get
14 results, I think I used something like
15
16 -append 'earlyprintk=serial,keep' -serial file:/abs/path/log/file
17
18 previously to log the full console output from inside a KVM machine.
19 That could be the base of a regression test suite.
20
21 Best,
25 Sebastian