From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o, John Davis <zhen@g.o>, Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>, Gentoo-Base-System <base-system@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: baselayout changes for livecds
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:42:19
1 yes that would work, but drobbins already expressed a concern with
2 USE=livecd Since we base our livecds off of a stage3 which would
3 NOT have USE=livecd, we have to reemerge baselayout. I don't believe
4 catalyst is capable of reemerging the same package that already exists
5 on the system without hacking it up some, so the easier way around would
6 be to make everyone bump the baselayout -rN and resnap the portage tree
7 and make it depend on that version of baselayout. Just another
8 step which the whole point to catalyst was to have everything in portage
9 and easy to use so general users could create their own livecds with
10 their own apps, etc.
11 It is a solution, just not the best at this point :/
12 I still don't see the security concern though, but perhaps I'm
13 thick headed.
14
15 > Ok, what about catalist install its own version of livecd-functions.sh
16 > for the moment, with the ebuild only when USE=livecd. We then change
17 > the bit for sourcing livecd-functions.sh in /sbin/rc to:
18 >
19 > --
20 > --- rc-scripts-1.4.3.12p2/sbin/rc 2003-12-25 19:25:24.000000000
21 > -0500
22 > +++ rc-scripts-1.4.3.12p5/sbin/rc 2004-01-16 23:10:40.880824792
23 > -0500
24 > @@ -6,6 +6,7 @@
25 >
26 > trap ":" INT QUIT TSTP
27 > source /sbin/functions.sh
28 > +[ -f /sbin/livecd-functions.sh ] && source /sbin/livecd-functions.sh
29 > umask 022
30 >
31 > try() {
32 > @@ -163,6 +164,11 @@
33 > --
34 >
35 > Meaning any of the livecd changes will _only_ be available on a livecd,
36 > which cuts the uneeded overhead, and settles Paul's concerns? When
37 > USE=livecd then propagated, catalyst can then stop installing its own
38 > version ...
41 > --
42 > Martin Schlemmer
43 > --
44 >
45 > Martin Schlemmer
46 > Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
47 > Cape Town, South Africa
54 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list