From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: davisjp@×××.edu
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Release Info (long and thorough)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:26:38
Commenting below:

> For LiveCDs, the layout will go as follows: > Currently, catalyst built LiveCDs have: > /rr-moved > /
ehh?? don't know what /rr-moved is, and there is no reason why should be in there at all, they're not on mine (for amd64 and were not there when I was testing for x86).
> Next, I need some information on what arch is doing what. From what I > know, these arches are doing to following for 2004.0: > > x86: stages, LiveCD, snapshot, GRP > ppc: stages, LiveCD, snapshot, GRP > sparc: stages, LiveCD, snapshot GRP > MIPS: stages, snapshot > hardened: stages, snapshot, GRP
amd64: stages, LiveCD,snapshot GRP
> Next, I am going to paste directly from swift so that we can get this > all answered: > > - What options are available when the new LiveCD boots? kernel and > parameters.
Each kernel has a -nofb variant, so if you have 2 kernels, one named gentoo, the other smp, they can boot with : gentoo, smp, gentoo-nofb, and smp-nofb And they can hit F1 at the isolinux prompt to see these kernel options as well, as that file is auto-generated that it shows. Obviously this is strictly x86/amd64 info. Now the other parameters are going to be the same as they were before, stuff like 'doscsi', 'dousb', etc ... as that stuff shouldn't have changed. The new genkernel still honors those, as does the baselayout/autoconfig.
> - Will keymap selection be integrated in the boot-process and if so, how?
it is NOT currently. Someone needs to step up that knows anything about keymaps, and provide the necessary info, as I don't have a clue (as most people like me in the US).
> - Is LVM2 and EVMS supported ?
Yes, LVM2 and EVMS2 are included on the LiveCD.
> - What kernel sources will be available on the 2-CD LiveCD set?
err, one I can't answer, I assume this is a question for each arch?? for amd64, we're only doing gentoo-dev-sources as that's the only kernel we can support.
> - What architectures does genkernel support currently?
everything except PPC pretty much. I think the PPC people have pretty much refused to commit their profile to that even though I've asked on numerous occasions. Everyone seems to defer to someone else. It's really really easy guys! This genkernel was designed to be multi-arch! Please commit to gentoo/src/genkernel_bradmssw asap! -Brad -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] Release Info (long and thorough) Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-releng] Release Info (long and thorough) Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>