From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] So when is it really safe to take a snapshot to use for release?
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:17:16

Jason Wever wrote:
| On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:44:43 -0500
| "John Davis" <zhen@g.o> wrote:
|>Expect this to happen time to time with releases. Since we no longer
|>have a 'package freeze', issues like this will be encountered.
| Actually we can have a "package freeze" since we can do the portage
| snapshots with catalyst.  This also allows you do decide what versions of
| packages are part of a release without effecting the regular tree.

I disagree - a snapshot is not a freeze in the same way that our old
release policy called for. Although you can do what you are saying
(versions, etc), the tree itself never freezes. Gentoo is a fluid

| It might also be nice to have a master snapshot for building releases
| with that incorporates any changes and updates needed, so that we are all
| on the same page when building.

I like this idea. I think that we would have to save it for .1 though.
The collaboration between arch leads would have to be very well planned
out, and unless we have very few problems with system packages (2
packages is minor), I would rather that we try this for the next release.

I am open for compromise though - if all of the arch leads agree, I will
happily make a snap as soon as the new baselayout and openssl are commited.

- --
John Davis
Gentoo Linux Developer

- ----
Knowledge can be more terrible than ignorance if you're powerless to
change your world.
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -