From: Tomas Carnecky <tom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] cups USE flag forced upon x86/amd64/ppc profiles
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:08:03
1 On 10/19/2008 06:47 PM, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Tomas Carnecky wrote:
3 >> I came across this issue while inspecting the USE flags that my
4 >> Playstation3 uses. And I couldn't disable some of those (cups, ipv6
5 >> and some others) so I looked at why they were forced upon me. Turns
6 >> out the
7 >
8 > None of those flags are forced on you. Just negate them in USE in your
9 > make.conf
12 Yeah, sorry about that. I wrote that at a time where I thought make.conf
13 couldn't override make.defaults. Was probably some problem with emerge
14 caching the flags, as it started working properly after a few reboots.
15
16 But still, why is cups added in the very basic profiles? I'm not
17 debating the usefulness of printing support in desktop computers, I'm
18 just surprised you found cups useful enough to enable it for _all_
19 profiles, regardless whether it's server or desktop.
20 Why cups, why not any of the other dozens use flags? Who did decide that
21 cups is worthy enough and the others aren't?
22
23 tom