From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: Feature Requests for 2006.1
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:35:58
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > package. Second, a bug should be filed requesting the package be added.
4 > Please make sure that your request has not already been filed before
5 > filing a new bug report.
6
7 If the bug is RESOLVED WONTFIX, such as 69707, would you prefer a new one be
8 opened or the existing one to be used?
9
10 > we have done in the past, as it separates out into "desktop" and
11 > "server" profiles. The "desktop" profile is very similar to what we
12 > have always had on each release. The "server" profile is new, and has
13 > none of the typical desktop USE flags enabled, making it ideal for
14 > server usage. I plan on also creating some sort of "developer" profile
15 > which will inherit from both "desktop" and "server" profiles, once
16 > portage has support for multiple inheritance, so it might not make it
17 > into the 2006.1 profiles. I am looking for suggestions for USE flags to
18 > add to these two profiles, so feel free to make suggestions. Please
19 > cite some reasoning for why you think each USE flag you recommend should
20 > be either enabled or disabled. The profiles are at
21 > profiles/default-linux/x86/dev/2006.1/desktop and
22 > profiles/default-linux/x86/dev/2006.1/server for you to peruse. They
23 > are completely functional profiles at this time.
24
25 A couple of suggestions. In order to head off religious wars, it might be
26 nice to have individual profiles for kde/gnome desktops. I also suggest
27 perhaps calling the fully loaded developer desktop a "workstation", i.e.
28 server, desktop, workstation profiles.
29
30 And, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for starting work on a server profile!!!!