From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: mips@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2006.0? nptl?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:48:21
1 solar wrote:
2
3 > mips,
4
5 This is happening, but we would need to make a major leap forward on some
6 packages. We'd need at bare minimum, gcc-4.1 CVS HEAD, glibc CVS HEAD, and
7 binutils CVS HEAD just to even get the compiler base built. considering we're
8 still on 3.4.4, I don't see this happening for awhile.
9
10 geoman's been working on a gcc-4 userland, and has been finding some solutions
11 around some rather annoying bugs, like a librt patch we copied from debian back
12 in 2003 that came back and bit us, as well as some studies of a new -msym32 flag
13 to replace out o64 hacks in IP22/IP32 kernels.
14
15 We also use a patch for gcc-3.4.4 that adds optimization (-march/-mtune) support
16 for the R10000 processors that hasn't been ported to gcc-4 or carried upstream.
17 Every attempt I've made to get some gcc-hacker to port it (it's only 12kb), I
18 either get no response or a link to the gcc info manual on compiler internals.
19
20 Once these are fixed, then there's the fun part of actually testing everything.
21 On two ABIs (o32/n32) as well. And n32 is kind of stuck in the mud again due
22 to an undiscovered pthreads bug that h0rks our glib package, making a userland a
23 bit impractical.
24
25 Safely stated, I think we're gonna be in linuxthreads-land for a wee bit longer :)
28 > sparc,
29
30 I have this running on my Blade 100, and it seems to work well, even with
31 glibc-2.3.5 in portage. Weeve probably has better info on its support, though.
35 --Kumba
38 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
39 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
40
41 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
42 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
43 --
44 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list