From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 06:14:34
1 On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 21:56 -0800, davecode@××××××××××.net wrote:
2 > > The stage tarballs are *never* ~arch. We have talked about doing automated
3 > > builds, but we're not releasing them for public consumption, since there will be
4 > > absolutely *zero* QA done on them.
5 >
6 > Of course not; I didn't mean you replace official releases with ~arch!
7 > I only meant that, like Debian et al, there be regular tarballs for
8 > eager testers. That seems more sensible that starting testing from a
9 > year-old tarball. Some others might test in kexec/vmware/chroot or
10 > whatever.
11
12 Ehh, we'd never release ~arch tarballs. If we were to do something like
13 this, it would be weekly stable tarballs. There's no guarantee that
14 ~arch is even consistent. With stable, there's at least the testing of
15 the arch teams.
16
17 > > why exactly do PPC boxes need the newest everything?
18 >
19 > Sigh. I'd rather not go there. Suffice to say ~arch is why we're here.
20 > The current ~arch is turning into 2008.0 anyway, so that's what where
21 > we can help QA Gentoo.
22
23 No, it isn't.
24
25 I think your idea of how Gentoo releases work is a bit skewed.
26 Everything comes from stable. Always.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
31 Games Developer