From: davecode@××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 08:37:57
> we'd never release ~arch tarballs
I'm talking testing, you're thinking stable... Testers by definition do not want old stuff. The reason they are testing is they want new stuff. Yes, they understand the risk. In Debian they use "unstable" and "experimental" branches. Some big distros even vector off "unstable," such as Ubunutu. So I am not alone in this... The rolling stage3 suggestion isn't that Gentoo checks everything. The servers just spit them out. The idea is that Gentoo give testers more recent ~stage3's than year-old tarballs which are not even marked ~arch. No SVN/CVS etc. Our explicit interest is testing - not stable releases! Even when you ship 2008.0 we'll be on ~arch. Having just gone through days of testing with 2007.0, and upgrading to ~ppc, I'm just trying to offer some constructive feedback. Linux projects want testers and developers, in general. The way to attract testers is lowering barriers to entry.
> I think your idea of how Gentoo releases work is a bit skewed. > Everything comes from stable. Always.
I'm not clear how I said otherwise? Well, okay, straighten me out ... My understanding is * Gentoo has two parallel ongoing branches, arch and ~arch * ~arch has more recent packages than arch but less stability * both branches keep upgrading over time with bug/security/feature fixes * the only stage3 tarballs that exist are for the previous mega public release * Gentoo releng team plants a pole in the ground and ~arch becomes arch "beta" * arch "beta" quickly turns into arch-stable, while a new ~arch forks ahead Corrections welcome...Anyway, rolling testing tarballs for ~arch was the idea. Rolling tarballs for both arch and ~arch together is no more work than one or the other. It would be the same automated stuff. Thanks for a wonderful distro and the work on 2008.0. -- davecode@××××××××××.net -- - Same, same, but different… -- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list