From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Feature Requests for 2006.1
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:55:05
On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 14:27 -0500, solar wrote:
> You cant really do a server profile so far nested within the > default-linux profiles. The flags will be just wrong.
Have you verified this or are you just assuming?
> Also a server is not something you should be switching profiles every 6 > months.
This I definitely agree with, with the exception that I am specifically looking to create a profile set that *is* changed every release. The main difference here would be that profiles would be deprecated/removed at a *much* slower rate.
> If you are serious about a server profile I'd suggest dropping what you > are thinking now. Lets have a meeting (hardened + server + infra + > releng ) folks and do it right together.
I'm not sure what either Infra or Hardened would have to do with "default-linux" stuff, except that their input would be very valued as they would be experienced in these matters. I have no problem with having some sort of meeting. My primary reason for the profile is to keep all of the "cruft" from dev-lang/php out of the desktop profiles and to keep the gnome and kde stuff out of the server profile. I *know* that they're not perfect or even what is necessarily desired, which was the point of including all of the profile stuff in the original email. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] Feature Requests for 2006.1 solar <solar@g.o>