From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Fwd: grub 0.97 does not support GPT partitions
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 01:12:57
Joshua Hoblitt wrote:
> Grub 0.97 does not including support for GPT partition tables and > upstream has stated that they have no intention of adding this support > is it is a Grub "2" feature. Perhaps this is a pessimistic view point but > I don't believe we'll be seeing a stable Grub "2" release for some time. > > This going to become a serious problem for many users in the near future > as storage devices in excess of 2TB are becoming more and more common. > We're likely just few years away from seeing single disks in this size > range. > > In my case, I've encountered this issue already with 10TB RAID sets that > I'd like to be able to boot from. I've been able to work around this > limitation in two ways. 1) cutting the RAID set up into multiple > volumes with first one being smaller than 2TB so it can host a msdos > partition table or 2) building my own liveCD with a patched version of > grub that supports GPT partition tables and using a portage overlay with > the same patched version of grub. It is my belief that fix #2 is the > more elegant solution. Therefore I'd like to propose that Gentoo > patches grub to support GPT partitions. The patch that I pulled from > the grub mailing lists to add this support is attached and I can attest > that it is functional in a production environment. > > Thoughts? > > -J
Stuff like this is better suited for a bug where it can be discussed and eventually a solution used. I'd include in the bug this patch and your latest modified grub ebuild. Cheers, --K -- Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] Fwd: grub 0.97 does not support GPT partitions Joshua Hoblitt <jhoblitt@××××××××××.edu>