From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Avoid packaging stages w/ tar-1.13.92
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:08:17
I thought I pass a little bit of recently accquired knowldge onto this
list, and that is to make sure any machines release managers or arch
leads are using to compile stages with do not use tar-1.13.92* for
packaging the stages.

Whether this error I have will be reproducable on other arches is
unknown, but my experience taught me that busybox-01.00pre5 and 1.00pre6
will not unpack a stage built with this version.

/gentoo # tar x -f stage1-mips4-20040131.tar
tar: Couldnt remove old file: Is a directory
(same applies if the stageball is bzip2'ed and one passes -j to
busybox's tar).

Anyone got ideas on the causes of this?

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:
small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are
elsewhere."  --Elrond