From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
Cc: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>, gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86-livecd - bugs and suggestions
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:58:45
1 >
2 > And /newroot? Lets clarify:
3
4 /newroot should never be visible as it's strictly in the
5 initrd, and pivot_root will pretty much clobber that, it's
6 something you don't need to handle.
7
8 > 1) /mnt/livecd will be your zisofs image/whater
9
10 It is the loopback mount location for normal or gcloop filesystems.
11 zisofs is not a loopback device, so it won't make use of that.
12
13 > 2) /mnt/cdrom will be the cdrom itself ?
14
15 yes.
18 > So basically, the looback stuff just need to worry about /mnt/livecd,
19 > and both for the non-critical unmount stuff?
20
21 not sure what you mean by this, but yes, you should never umount
22 /mnt/livecd.
25 > Also, is /newroot now totally not used anymore? And why does /mnt/cdrom
26 > need to be mounted - i thought / was in there? I guess a quick
27 > explanation on all the types used (zisofs, etc) and what they mount for
28 > what will be great ...
29
30 /mnt/cdrom is the cdrom
31 / is a tmpfs filesystem
32 /mnt/livecd is where a loopback gets mounted
33 /mnt/cdrom/zisofs is the zisofs location that symlinks get
34 made to to fill in the root, but it's not a
35 loop device, so /mnt/livecd is not used if the
36 cd is zisofs
37 /etc is a tmpfs filesystem
38 /newroot is only used in the initrd, and should not be visible once
39 /sbin/init is called on bootup.
40
41 I think that about covers it.
44 > Hmm, not sure - that is why I asked for comments from others. I guess
45 > the truth will still hold - the conf files tested for should not be
46 > there if the user did not setup it ...
47
48 ok, as long as that's true. ..
51 > Tough, we all have 12 hour or close working days. As for calming down,
52 > I _am_ calm - you have not seen me on the war path yet =) And I do not
53 > imagine myself that the -r4 changes was not the only.
54 >
55 > Also, 'resigning' from the livecd project because you overstep
56 > boundaries with no visible regard for the impact or feelings of others,
57 > is to be frank, silly. Ask me - any change that usually cannot wait a
58 > few hours to be verified is usually a wrong one. I did this more than
59 > once myself - overstepping boundaries for this 'critical' fix, and the
60 > result was worse than what the few extra hours of waiting could ever
61 > have done.
62 >
63 > We do not ask your soul - we ask some sort of regard. Work with us,
64 > and you will see that most of us will work with you.
65
66 Seeing as I had already 'overstepped' my bounds as you put it and
67 committed a -r4 in the first place (it was never anything you had
68 committed), what was the harm at all in me updating my own ebuild?
69 Anyhow, we use CVS for collaboration, etc, this send me a diff and I'll
70 approve it thing is BS as long as we don't mess anything up, which I
71 have taken steps to make sure I do not.
72
73 Oh also, just as a little wood for your fire, I committed a patch to
74 -r2,-r3,-r4, and -r5 that fixes a bug where /dev was not being created
75 _again_. And I did view this as fairly critical, and it was simplistic.
76 We are a team, I don't believe ONE person should hold up bug fixes, etc
77 when things are easily fixed without disturbance. I view myself as a
78 competant developer, if I were not, perhaps it would be a different
79 situation. Again, I bring up the point, why do we use CVS if not to
80 collaborate ?
81
82 -Brad
85 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list