From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86 GRP
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:38:01
1 On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 03:05, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > One of the reasons I think more in favor of i686 is to be 'better' than
3 > Mandrake, which optimizes for i586 iirc. And if I'm mistaken and they
4 > compile for i686, then the reason is to 'not be lower' ;)
5 >
6 > Okay, that's a marketing PoV, but hey - we need that as well, don't we?
7
8 I was always under the impression that the GRP was designed for one
9 purpose, and that is to get a Gentoo machine up quickly. I never did
10 understand the reason for the optimized GRP sets. In fact, I only ever
11 downloaded the "i686" set simply because it would work on both AMD and
12 Intel hardware, from a Pentium Pro on up.
13
14 I definitely agree that we need 2 GRP sets for x86, an i686 set for PPro
15 and faster, and an x86 set for those below. There is little to no
16 advantage to the lower sets, and it does take up a massive amount of
17 mirror space.
18
19 This is going to be a hot issue with the users. Perhaps we could get
20 something posted on the next GWN with a link to a survey of some sort?
21 Perhaps have a week later for an "end date" and see what the users
22 decide.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Developer
27 Games/LiveCD Teams