From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: basesystem@g.o, gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] baselayout changes for sparc livecd
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:32:31
1 Hi All,
2
3 In order for sparc LiveCDs to boot without errors, some changes will need
4 to be made to baselayout in regards to the consolefont and keymaps init
5 scripts and/etc/inittab.
6
7 Basically, if a user boots via a serial console (only happens when no
8 monitor and no keyboard are plugged in), consolefont and keymaps will fail
9 to load as there's no framebuffer device to set a font on and no keyboard
10 for keymaps. Additionally, init will show errors spawning consoles for vc1
11 through vc6, and repeat the error messages every 5 minutes as it attempts
12 to respawn.
13
14 These changes are applicable to regular booting on a serial console based
15 sparc and require manual changes by the user currently.
16
17 Currently on the sparc LiveCDs, a user is supposed to append serial
18 to the end of their kernel boot arguments, and I have the initrd check to
19 see if it's set, remove the soft links in /etc/runlevels/boot for
20 consolefont and keymaps, and then copy an additional /etc/inittab designed
21 for serial consoles over the regular one. This is a bit of a hack, but it
22 gets the job done.
23
24 For consolefont and keymaps, we could use the output checkconsole command
25 to see if the script should exit successfully out if a serial console is
26 detected, or have a process higher up handle it. I haven't come up with a
27 good idea for the /etc/inittab however.
30 Any ideas (and should I file a bug for this as well)?
31 --
32 Jason Wever
33 Gentoo/Sparc Team Co-Lead