From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Profile Reorganization
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:34:27
1 Alright, I've had this idea for ways to reorganize the profiles for some
2 time now. I figured now would be as good a time as any to introduce it
3 here, since we probably do more profile work than anyone else. Once
4 we've got a decent idea hashed out, we can GLEP it and make the changes
5 in the tree.
6
7 Basically, it is a reorganization of the profiles to make more sense.
8
9 Profiles would consist of:
10
11 $type/$kernel/$userland/$arch/($version)
12
13 Now, type would be the main type of profile. To match with what we have
14 now, we would have "default" which is the default release profile,
15 "hardened" and "uclibc". We would keep the "base" profile, where the
16 globally-affecting things would remain. The kernel would be the kernel
17 in use. I believe that currently, we would have "linux", "darwin", and
18 "freebsd". The userland would be "gnu" or "bsd". Of course, arch is
19 pretty obvious. Everything below arch would be optional profiles. For
20 Release Engineering, this would be where we would put our versioned
21 release profiles, along with any other sub-profiles.
22
23 All that this really accomplishes it a bit of cleanup of the profiles,
24 but also allows for greater support of more interesting profiles, such
25 as a hardened Linux profile with a BSD userland on Alpha.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
30 x86 Architecture Team
31 Games - Developer