From: Alex Howells <astinus@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 17:17:10
1 On 03/02/2008, Markus Hauschild <hauschild.markus@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > If you really want to test ~arch packets you don't necessarily need
3 > ~arch stages to download, you can just switch your Installation to
4 > ~arch and then file bugs etc.
5
6 .. which may not be received too well. There is a perception that
7 Developers *support* ~arch, which is a skewed outlook; it's there for
8 testing, it is *not* meant to be used by 99.5% of end users. It is a
9 means to an end, a way to track packages which *may* be stable, a QA
10 process.
11
12 ie: The following would/should be entirely acceptable:
13
14 <User> I'm running ~arch of libfoo and it's breaking appwoo, help!
15 Need this to work, really *REALLY* badly!
16
17 <Dev> We're aware of those issues, but libfoo works fine for most
18 of the other apps which require it. No ETA on the fix,
19 tough sh*t for running ~arch on a critical box.
20
21 <User> Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
22
23 If you're interested in helping that QA process, most of the
24 architecture teams now have an 'Arch Tester' (AT) setup you could help
25 out with...
26 --
27 gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list