From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: base-system@g.o, gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for developers for livecds / catalyst
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:51:52
1 On Monday 12 January 2004 18:15, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
4 > As for the whole CDBOOT issue - as I said in another mail, those
5 > patches from Daniel did not include how CDBOOT was set. Further
6 > do I not see why we should clutter /sbin/rc any more with things
7 > like this, as the livecd is a special case, and do not need to
8 > be dynamic or tweakable on the fly. Also, setting it in /sbin/rc
9 > do not guarantee that it will be always set for rc-script - rather
10 > then /sbin/functions.sh, although some subset of how it was
11 > previously done, but rather ebuild side might be the better
12 > solution - like I said, I do not see the need for it to be dynamic.
13
14 I actually believe that we should take care that the configuration for cd's
15 (with the special configuration and privileges (like no login)) is not just
16 taken over to hd installs. It should be ensured that users can not by mistake
17 throw away their security (and only with difficulties by intent)
18
19 Paul
20
21 ps. I don't want an advice like "if you want no passwd, just specify cdboot as
22 kernel parameter" to float around on the forums
25 Paul de Vrieze
26 Gentoo Developer
27 Mail: pauldv@g.o
28 Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net