From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: Snapshots, etc
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:03:50

Hi all:
There has been some confusion about release procedure, snapshots, and
many other things that lend themselves to being confusing at this point
(i.e catalyst/ baselayout/ livecds, etc).

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for putting up with the
various confusions, misunderstandings, bugs, etc. Like Pieter said,
catalyst will be an amazing tool when it is completed. Catalyst delivers
to the users a manifestation of our entire philosophy - choice and
control. For the first time, users will be able to easily exercise full
control over every aspect of their Distribution - from installation
stages to liveCDs to GRP; something that no other distribution offers.

Until catalyst is finished, and that will be post .0 but before .1, we
have to deal with some bumps. Snapshots are one such bump. It is too
late to implement this now, but for .1 I would like to enforce a "drop
dead date" that packages can be added to a snapshot. Once releng sets
the date (with input from arch leads) for snap creation, it is up to the
developers to mark everything stable that needs to be included in the
snap. Doing so should alleviate some of the problems that we have had w/
system packages by giving us the ability to control if, when, and where
system packages are updated into the snap. Please note that this is not
a freeze, but rather a QA control so that we don't have to duplicate
work efforts by building five different sets of stages, GRP, etc.

The release process is a cooperative effort by arch leads and releng. If
we work through .0 into .1 like we have so far, we will have absolutely
no problem overcoming the problems that arise.

- --
John Davis
Gentoo Linux Developer

- ----
Knowledge can be more terrible than ignorance if you're powerless to
change your world.
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -