From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo-Base-System <base-system@g.o>, gentoo-releng@l.g.o, ppc@g.o, alpha@g.o, lanius@g.o, ia64@g.o, sparc@g.o, mips@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: binutils-
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:08:49
On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 13:57, Kumba wrote:
> Martin Schlemmer wrote: > > > Not sure, but I would like to get gcc-3.3.2-r5 or so in as well. Is > > this still possible ? > > > > > > Thanks, > > I'm building mips stages with gcc-3.3.2-r4. -r5 will not merge on my > Indy, although other mips users (with roughly the same Indy specs I > have) have reported success with that version of gcc. It keeps getting > to a C++ source file in the final stages of gcc's bootstrap, and just > hangs the compile up. Doesn't hang the box, and no error messages or > zombified processes that I can find. Still doing research into the > cause, I'm beginning to think I have something funny going on with the > chroot environment. >
Even 3.3.2-r4 is fine (and was longer tested), but the point is, we need a 3.3.x out, as there is a _lot_ of pentium4 fixes, as well as others. I will do -r6 in a bit, maybe you can give it a bit of testing on your indy.
> As for sparc, we've been using the gcc33-sparc64-1.4 profile to test > gcc-3.3.x on sparc. Whether it is safe enough to declare stable, I'll > let Weeve make that call. >
Ill wait for him then.
> x86, I've had no problems really. Just we need to get the new etcat > version out because gcc-3.3.2-r5 scans for the @guard symbols, and older > etcat versions do not work with the newer 2.0.50 portage, causing the > ebuild to fail (this has been my experience on sparc64 actually, but I > would not be surprised for this to popup up elsewhere for those who > haven't upgraded gentoolkit yet (like me)). >
Right, lanius (whoever), any eta on the new etcat? Also, any definate reasons on the PPC lag in gcc versions? They do not even have 3.3.x in testing .... Thanks, -- Martin Schlemmer Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer Cape Town, South Africa

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: binutils- Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>