From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 16:14:40
On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 23:35 -0800, davecode@××××××××××.net wrote:
> I'm not saying "change your ways" but rather "tarball ~stuff" to help > sysadmins make their own design choices. Any choice is a balancing > act of competing requirements. > > > They've got no clue what it means, then they bitch/whine > > when they hit ABI issues or other problems and blame Gentoo. > > Not in this discussion? All I want is a cleaner way to install > ~arch. > Put all the warning stickers you want. I agree it is *not* for > average users.
You must be new here. If we allow it, it'll be used. Not only will it be used, but the users will expect us to support it. We are already understaffed to support simple things like the stages and the minimal images. Adding yet another set of stages that could much more easily be broken due to lower QA just isn't something we have the ability to do, even if we wanted to do it. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering Strategic Lead Games Developer