From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] drobbins built a livecd
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:02:13
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I just did a fairly major reworking of the LiveCD stuff in catalyst, to
4 make things a bit cleaner. There are quite a few changes all over the
5 place, and here's a summary:
6
7 livecd-stage3 has been deprecated and merged into livecd-stage2. This
8 simplifies quite a bit of catalyst code. It makes a successful build of
9 a livecd several minutes faster, as a huge tarball doesn't need to be
10 bzip2 compressed and then unpacked.
11
12 the archscripts and runscripts have been reworked. The default runscript
13 and x86 archscript on CVS have been updated and _are working_ (I built
14 an x86 livecd on amd64 that booted in vmware.)
15 The archscript and runscript are now somewhat leaner.
16
17 examples/livecd/x86 contain _working_ example spec files for livecd
18 building. You can use them as-is, as I've added a tweak to catalyst so
19 it will look for files with non-absolute pathnames in the current
20 working directory (so that "boot/kernel/gentoo/config:
21 examples/livecd/x86/foo.config" works just fine if you run catalyst from
22 the cvs root.) Just unmask baselayout-r4, gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.1-r1
23 and the latest genkernel in your snapshot and everything should work
24 fine.
25
26 the various parts of the runscript/archscript have been renamed, and
27 some parts have been combined and/or deprecated. We now have the
28 following, which run in the order specified:
29
30 preclean - prep livecd environment, do a bit of cleaning
31 kernel - build kernel
32 bootloader - configure bootloader
33 clean - clean up with chroots unmounted
34 cdfs - prepare cd filesystem (loopback, zisofs, etc.)
35
36 Also, USE="livecd" is now enabled in the x86 livecd spec files, and
37 catalyst has been tweaked so that baselayout is re-emergeable when it's
38 listed in livecd/packages. baselayout is working. It certainly needs
39 more work (saw 2 livecd bugs -- one is that it's trying to calculate
40 module deps on the read-only fs, and the other that "reboot" doesn't
41 work correctly. These aren't particularly hard to fix.)
42
43 I should have docs and a quick tutorial online sometime tomorrow. To
44 Weeve and others who have started work on LiveCD stuff: sorry for these
45 late changes. I will work on getting the sparc64 example livecd scripts
46 fully updated by tomorrow. These changes should definitely be "worth it"
47 in the long-run.
48
49 Regards,
50