From: "Randall D. Wald" <rdwald@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:26:03
1 I second this, in particular the part about including stage3 on the CD;
2 I'm always annoyed when, after downloading and burning the LiveCD, I
3 need to download the stage3, possibly from a laptop without working
4 wireless.
5
6 Sincerely,
7
8 Randall
9
10 Peter Weber wrote:
11 > Hello,
12 >
13 > I now that Chris Gianelloni loves his LiveCD an the GUI-Installer and I
14 > know that he don't like to accept changes he don't support personally.
15 > But I do that know, so please don't kill me:
16 >
17 > Gentoo should have again an Universal-CD again, because:
18 >
19 > * Support for network/networkless-installation on one release-media
20 > * More flexibility as with Minimal-CD and LiveCD
21 > * Compared with LiveCD the footprint is generally small (necessary
22 > hardware, size of image)
23 > * Offers the classic full "Shell-Installation" who is loved by the
24 > gentoo-community (no voodoo-scripts, included stage3 and sources for the
25 > most important packages like vanilla-sources and bootloaders)
26 > * Could also offer a Ncurses-Installer and requires only some MB of
27 > space on the disk (without X11, Gnome, OpenOffice)
28 > * One consistent-installation way for all platforms (only x86/x86_64
29 > doesn't offer it currently)
30 > * Debian and Ubuntu (with its alternate-cd) offers currently more
31 > flexible solutions than Gentoo! Hey, who is here the meta-distribution?
32 > * There are currently unoffical Universal-CD avaiable, we don't need
33 > much work to prepare: http://download.libexec.de/ting/2007.0/
34 >
35 > Thanks to dertobi for the great work ;-)
36 > Maybe he can support you with necessary and up-to-date catalyst files.
37 >
38 > Please don't put this suggestion to your trash can, because you
39 > personally don't need or want it. The Univeral-CD is and was always a
40 > great installation-media, and it was simple.
41 >
42 > This is no suggestion against the LiveCD or the Installer!
43 >
44 > Thanks
45 > Peter Weber