From: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Gentoo 2004.1 Release
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:18:26
1 On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 16:32 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > For me, this could best be implemented outside the gentoo project. We could
3 > then list binary distro's based of gentoo or something like that. We then
4 > need to add support for better binary dependency checking to portage, but it
5 > should be possible to pull it off. Full continuously updatable like debian is
6 > hard though and much of that work should be done by the developers of such a
7 > gentoo based distro.
8
9 I think it could be implimented in Gentoo, however, the first thing that
10 needs to happen is frozen trees with only security updates. This is of
11 great desireability for our enterprise users. Once that is done, adding
12 binary support to that frozen tree is fairly easy. For instance, lets
13 say we have a new frozen tree with every release. So right now the
14 newest tree would be 2004.1. We could start by offering just the grp
15 packages (and their security updates). A person can always move up
16 trees (maybe down, but that would be harder) and the highest tree would
17 be the unstable tree (our current stable tree). This way there would be
18 binaries (GRP) on each tree except unstable. Of course, this is not
19 continuously updateable as debian is. However, is can be argued that
20 continuously updateable is not a "Good Thing" TM. So to recap, frozen
21 trees with security updates would be a HUGE step towards a binary based
22 distro. After the frozen trees all we need to do is expand our GRP
23 offerings. BTW, the nice thing about this is that even if a binary
24 isn't available on your tree, you can still always use good ole source
25 packages. AND, if one of the binaries isn't built the way you like,
26 just rebuild it from source. What do you think?
27
28 Nathaniel
32 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list