From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:13:38

Peter Weber wrote:
>> Anyone gave this any thought? There are still a LOT of dial-up users >> out here. People seem to forget that, especially the website with all >> the huge pages. My Space comes to mind on that. >> > > Even users with high-speed connections want to stay independent and > free, relying on a network-connection is unsafe. > > I want my backup of my OS in my hand and not on a web-server. > But I also prefer web-installation because I got immediately up-to-date > files. > >
Dale, that's true and we worry about that. However, there's so much we can do about it. Peter, this is a source distro. The release engineering team created the GLI for those that wanted pre-compiled packages for a networkless install. But our regular install has to be network based. If you want to have a backup of your system, you should look into creating a stage4 image of your system. Also, unlike other distros, one doesn't need to reinstall to update Gentoo.
> Relying on a network-connection for installation is like relying on the > Windows-Activation and Windows live-update. If you need it, you can be > sure, that it will NOT work! Maybe they deny the access, delete the all > the files through a accident, or some stupid captain cut off your > backbone...*haha* >
I've never done a networkless install of Gentoo and I've installed it a "few" times on several arches without any "network glitches". -- Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org Gentoo-forums / Userrel / SPARC / KDE -- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>