From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 05:16:27
davecode@××××××××××.net wrote:
> Hi Gentoo- > > My overall impression of Gentoo is "what a fantastic system"! I can't > believe how good, really. These are all fairly minor things. I'm new > to Gentoo, so forgive dumb ignorance, but Linux and programming are my > profession. > > For your 2008.0 release: > > The 2007.0~ppc branch fails to upgrade over a Bash / Portage block. So > will 2008.0 break too, until attended? A Bash / Portage conflict is the > worst possible.
No. The 2008.0 stages will have whatever versions of packages are in the tree at the time of our snapshot.
> I tried to fix it (from zsh chroot into Gentoo) but gave up. Stock > advice on FAQs does not work in this thorny case. Forums show > occasional situations between Python / Portage, too. > > I do not want/ask your help, but only to share a thought: > > Portage should have embedded Python and embedded Bash. Exactly the > versions it needs, with bare minimum required libraries, statically > compiled.
No. That's not feasible when you start looking at all the architectures that Gentoo is supported on.
> The Portage 'snapshot' is already a special install step. And Gentoo > already ships regular snapshots. The only thing missing is embedding > the dependencies directly. > > I've never embedded Bash, but have Python, several times. Bash could > probably work too. The combined ELFs weigh around 2 MB total, not bad > for a critical executive controller like Portage which has its own > dedicated snapshots.
Those snapshots have nothing to do with the Portage program. They are simply snapshots of the "tree".
> Finally - how about some recent stage3 ~arch tarballs. I can't find > any. Most distros do daily/weekly/monthly build snapshots. The only > snapshots for Gentoo seem to be Portage snapshots. Am I wrong? I know > the 2008.0 beta is due soon, but I mean on a continuous basis. Not > binary builds, just the latest ~arch tarball. If not frequent, at least > quarterly?
The stage tarballs are *never* ~arch. We have talked about doing automated builds, but we're not releasing them for public consumption, since there will be absolutely *zero* QA done on them.
> Normal ppc 2007.0 works fine from a dependency standpoint. The entire > reason for trying Gentoo is that ppc boxes need the absolute most > bleeding edge of everything. Hence the interest in Gentoo and > specifically ~arch. We also want the latest GNOME anyhow, plus > compiz-fusion.
Uhh, why exactly do PPC boxes need the newest everything?