From: Chris White <webmaster@××××××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Automating the process of building kernel pci drivers
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 03:55:06
1 Hello all,
2
3 Here's a proposal I had after talking over with some kernel devs and
4 plasmaroo (since he works on genkernel):
5
6 [ Introduction ]
7
8 One of the most painstaking process in installing any linux distribution
9 is the kernel. Some create tools to automate the process, others make
10 kernels that have support for *, and end up somewhat bloated. In seeing
11 this as a major issue for people trying to switch over to linux, I
12 decided to take a look at what could be done.
13
14 [ Framework ]
15
16 When one does `make modules_install` for the kernel, a special file is
17 created called modules.pcimap. This file associates pci modules with
18 pci id's. That said, if one compiles all modules, a complete map would
19 be created (there is a command to do this.. can't remember off the top
20 of my head). This file could be used by a program to reference back and
21 forth with lspci and have only the modules built for only the currently
22 installed pci devices. This would clear up a fair amount of effort in
23 figuring out what module is needed for what device, a somewhat
24 frequently asked question.
25
26 [ Gentoo Usage ]
27
28 By utilizing the file with a userspace program (let's say genkernel),
29 the current livecd's could be improved as far as hardware detection in
30 the kernel. A one time pass on the kernel would create the map, and it
31 would be shipped with the livecd. This would also help the existing
32 installer automation potential.
33
34 [ Issues ]
35
36 This does come with a few questions though:
37
38 1) What if the device has no module?
39 2) Do we generate it for a specific kernel version for the livecd, or
40 try multiple ones?
41 3) Do arches have any issues?
42 4) Is it possible for two modules to hold over the same device and
43 possibly conflict with each other?
44 5) Could certain modules cause other modules to fail? Does a short
45 rules list need to be created to prevent problematic combinations?
46 6) How should we approach the userspace program? Should we simply
47 extend genkernel or go with something more specialized?
48
49 [ Conclusion ]
50
51 So, that is the basic proposal I wish to set forth. I'd like to also
52 make note that I noticed earlier there is a modules.usbmap as well,
53 which could possibly go hand in hand with lusb to achieve the same effect.
54
55 That's it, thanks ahead of time for comments/suggestions/etc. I hope
56 this will progress things further and make kernel building a lot less of
57 a pain.
58
59 Chris White
60 http://www.securesystem.info
61
62 "The meaning of life is to attach an idea to the word life"
63 --
64 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list