From: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Gentoo 2004.1 Release
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 02:27:11
1 Just a quick perspective from the Gentoo-Installer project... NOT having
2 a full binary installation for us it not an option. We ARE providing
3 users with the ability to use the installer to do a stage one install.
4 HOWEVER, we should also be able to have a system up and running in under
5 an hour. This brings me to a thought I've had for a while: with
6 genkernel working so well, we should be able to provide binary kernel
7 packages. Let me put it this way...
8
9 In the ebuild for kernels there should be a flag (unfortunately "build"
10 is already taken) that once downloading and installing kernel source
11 code it builds a binary kernel with genkernel. Then, if you make a
12 binary package of the kernel ebuild it could install not only the source
13 but a pre-built kernel as well. We could then provide a few default
14 binary kernels with the GRP release. Eventually, when gentoo tools get
15 a little better (we may actually work on this as a subset of Gentoo
16 Installer, we could even auto configure boot info (grub, lilo, etc...).
17 If this is the case, we could get a full system install into under half
18 an hour, which would be of GREAT benefit to both desktop users and
19 enterprise users.
20
21 Just my $.02.
22