From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: ppc@g.o, Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-releng] PPC 2004.2-rc
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:01:33
1 Hi,
2
3 Lots (+- 4G) of new ppc stuff for the QA guys:
4
5 - A
6 kde3.2.2/gnome-2.6.0.1/fluxbox-0.9.9/xfce4/xorg-x11/koffice-1.3/
7 openoffice-ximian-.55/3ddesktop livecd with lots of multimedia tools
8 (ardour,jack,...) and of course mac-on-linux
9 - Updated profiles, allowing for NPTL builds. Every single application
10 masked stable has been tested against 2.6.6 headers and patched if
11 necessary.
12 - GCC-3.3.3_hammer (20040408-r1) as default compiler, with glibc-2.3.3
13 (20040420-r1)
14 - Packages CDs for each subarch, including G5. (700M each)
15 - Every category in the portage tree was audited for stale keywording
16 etc (search google for "PPC stable profile update"). Our stable profile
17 is rock solid and bleeding edge.
18 - The same livecd kernels as 2004.1, but also with third-party SATA
19 support as per request.
20 - PPC-only kernels merged with multi-arch kernel ebuilds, PPC migrated
21 to kernel-2.eclass. (gentoo-dev-sources is our recommended kernel)
22 - Snapshot made 20040603 (over 120G GRP builds on a two-daily basis
23 before to come to a stable profile, with tested toolchains etc.)
24
25 Extra features that might be implemented before the official 2004.2
26 release date:
27
28 - GCC-3.4 with glibc-2.3.4 and binutils-.15-3-r3 (waiting for upstream
29 patches to for instance openoffice, but works fine otherwise - likely
30 to be at least in ppc testing profile).
31 - CHRP support for the livecd (can't test myself, so depends on my
32 upstream bandwidth)
33 - 64bit kernel on the 32-bit livecds (likely, if gcloop is made 64bit
34 compatible, and the 32bit bootloader correctly loads the initrd at the
35 right position in memory, seems to be broken only for zimage, not
36 vmlinux)
37 - biarch toolchain (maybe limited support - portage multilib support is
38 lacking anyway)
39 - xeasyconf-ng - send dams@g.o your working X11 configs for
40 training the app.
41
42 We are also in the process of updating the PPC faq and website with
43 tons of useful info from the forums. The all 2004.2 relevant changes
44 (gentoo-dev-sources as default kernel) have been integrated in the
45 handbook
46 The stages and snapshots are online, the package cds are uploading.
47 bootable livecds will be at the end of my upload queue. As usual my
48 upload is the unpredictable factor, I'll try to upload different cds in
49 parallel at my parents house, a friends house, where I live, and maybe
50 at sejo's place. Worst case everything is uploaded by tuesday. Will
51 ping again when uploaded.
52
53 Thnxs to all for making this possible.
54
55 Best regards,
56
57 Pieter Van den Abeele