From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 18:27:13
Alex Howells wrote:
> On 03/02/2008, Markus Hauschild <hauschild.markus@××××××××××.com> wrote: >> If you really want to test ~arch packets you don't necessarily need >> ~arch stages to download, you can just switch your Installation to >> ~arch and then file bugs etc. > > .. which may not be received too well. There is a perception that > Developers *support* ~arch, which is a skewed outlook; it's there for > testing, it is *not* meant to be used by 99.5% of end users. It is a > means to an end, a way to track packages which *may* be stable, a QA > process. > > ie: The following would/should be entirely acceptable: > > <User> I'm running ~arch of libfoo and it's breaking appwoo, help! > Need this to work, really *REALLY* badly! > > <Dev> We're aware of those issues, but libfoo works fine for most > of the other apps which require it. No ETA on the fix, > tough sh*t for running ~arch on a critical box. > > <User> Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! > > If you're interested in helping that QA process, most of the > architecture teams now have an 'Arch Tester' (AT) setup you could help > out with...
Well ... I've been running ~x86 and ~amd64 for a long time and I can't remember an instance where I needed to drop back to stable for the things I regularly use, such as R, maxima, Ruby, Lyx, and I can't remember a time when I needed to drop back to stable for a core component like the kernel, gcc, perl, or python either. But -- that's x86 and amd64 -- it might be much riskier on something less common, like powerpc. -- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list