From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature request for 2008.0
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 02:53:27
1 Sylvain Alain wrote:
2 > Hi Andrew, and what about if the Gentoo devs release after 3 months a
3 > new tarball for the new user...if will remove the need to update their
4 > box and also, maybe it's a good idea to refresh the tarball between 2
5 > majors profiles..
6
7 Didn't I already ask you not to top post? Please don't top post.
8
9 Yeah, gentoo has tried quarterly releases before, back in 2004. The releases
10 were of poor quality and the release engineering devs hated the lack of a break
11 between almost constant release cycles.
12
13 You say it should only be stages, but if we do that, people will say that we
14 should just refresh the minimal CD with a new kernel. And then people will argue
15 that we should just refresh the LiveCD for new versions of large packages,
16 because they don't want to do all the compiling to update to a new version.
17
18 Are you going to take the time to become a dev, contribute to the effort of
19 building and testing these refreshes, fix bug, and all the other stuff that goes
20 along with it?
23 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
24 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
25 --
26 gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list