From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] catalyst livecd improvements
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:43:22
1 On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 03:38, tigger@g.o wrote:
2 > > Again, please don't make direct commits to the catalyst code. Thanks.
3 >
4 > Then please respond to my pings on irc or my emails for once.
5
6 I'm very sorry that I did not reply to the one private email that you
7 sent me. Sometimes, emails I receive do slip through the cracks.
8 In the future, if you can't reach me, email zhen or post to the -releng
9 list with any issues relating to catalyst.
10
11 There are people that we allow to make commits directly to catalyst
12 code. In general, they are listed on the catalyst project page
13 (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/). We also allow arch
14 leads to make changes to the settings in their respective arch plugin,
15 and beejay has made some commits to non-arch parts of the code. The
16 difference here is that I am working with beejay to debug certain parts
17 of the code (he's also the acting x86 arch lead.)
18
19 For any kind of development, it's important that there is at least one
20 person who has a full understanding of what changes are being made to
21 the code. That person is me, with Zhen as my assistant.
22
23 I understand that you had only the best intentions for making your
24 commits, and they were fairly minor, but I just want to be clear about
25 our policy. Also, I know that we have a very unstructured style of
26 development on this project, so I can certainly understand the confusion
27 that this can cause. To help remedy this, I've started to document
28 Gentoo development standards here on cvs:
29
30 gentoo/xml/htdocs/proj/en/lead/dev-project-stds.xml
31
32 (It's plain ASCII currently, not XML yet but the writing has been
33 through several drafts. What is there is fairly refined; I'll be adding
34 several more chapters before putting it online.)
35
36 I think that reading this document will help you understand where I'm
37 coming from. For catalyst, we are trying to use the "surgical team"
38 model of development and ensure that we preserve catalyst's conceptual
39 integrity by making sure that all code gets reviewed by me or Zhen
40 before hitting the tree.
41
42 Also, my initial reply to you *was* very snippy; I apologize for that. I
43 had a *very* stressful day yesterday (kids sick) and it came across in
44 my email. Please forgive me for that.
45
46 Regards,
47
48 Daniel