From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Feature Requests for 2006.1
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:46:02
Alright people, I'm starting up the feature requests for the 2006.1
release.  Some things to remember when making requests:

- We don't control what is stable in the tree, so requests for specific
packages won't be useful to us.  If you want a specific package added to
the release media, there are two steps required.  First, the package
must be marked stable on any architecture which will be using the
package.  Second, a bug should be filed requesting the package be added.
Please make sure that your request has not already been filed before
filing a new bug report.
- We don't control portage features.
- We don't control kernel versions, but we do control which *-sources we
use and also the configurations of those kernels.

A few ideas on things you can request are:

- New modules added to the release media
- New packages added to GRP/LiveCD/LiveDVD
- New media types (LiveDVD/netboot/*)
- Additional USE flags enabled/disabled by default

I am currently working on a new set of profiles for 2006.1 on x86.  As
you can tell, these profiles are a bit different from anything else that
we have done in the past, as it separates out into "desktop" and
"server" profiles.  The "desktop" profile is very similar to what we
have always had on each release.  The "server" profile is new, and has
none of the typical desktop USE flags enabled, making it ideal for
server usage.  I plan on also creating some sort of "developer" profile
which will inherit from both "desktop" and "server" profiles, once
portage has support for multiple inheritance, so it might not make it
into the 2006.1 profiles.  I am looking for suggestions for USE flags to
add to these two profiles, so feel free to make suggestions.  Please
cite some reasoning for why you think each USE flag you recommend should
be either enabled or disabled.  The profiles are at
profiles/default-linux/x86/dev/2006.1/desktop and
profiles/default-linux/x86/dev/2006.1/server for you to peruse.  They
are completely functional profiles at this time.

Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
x86 Architecture Team
Games - Developer