From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Feature Requests for 2006.1
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:46:02
1 Alright people, I'm starting up the feature requests for the 2006.1
2 release. Some things to remember when making requests:
3
4 - We don't control what is stable in the tree, so requests for specific
5 packages won't be useful to us. If you want a specific package added to
6 the release media, there are two steps required. First, the package
7 must be marked stable on any architecture which will be using the
8 package. Second, a bug should be filed requesting the package be added.
9 Please make sure that your request has not already been filed before
10 filing a new bug report.
11 - We don't control portage features.
12 - We don't control kernel versions, but we do control which *-sources we
13 use and also the configurations of those kernels.
14
15 A few ideas on things you can request are:
16
17 - New modules added to the release media
18 - New packages added to GRP/LiveCD/LiveDVD
19 - New media types (LiveDVD/netboot/*)
20 - Additional USE flags enabled/disabled by default
21
22 I am currently working on a new set of profiles for 2006.1 on x86. As
23 you can tell, these profiles are a bit different from anything else that
24 we have done in the past, as it separates out into "desktop" and
25 "server" profiles. The "desktop" profile is very similar to what we
26 have always had on each release. The "server" profile is new, and has
27 none of the typical desktop USE flags enabled, making it ideal for
28 server usage. I plan on also creating some sort of "developer" profile
29 which will inherit from both "desktop" and "server" profiles, once
30 portage has support for multiple inheritance, so it might not make it
31 into the 2006.1 profiles. I am looking for suggestions for USE flags to
32 add to these two profiles, so feel free to make suggestions. Please
33 cite some reasoning for why you think each USE flag you recommend should
34 be either enabled or disabled. The profiles are at
35 profiles/default-linux/x86/dev/2006.1/desktop and
36 profiles/default-linux/x86/dev/2006.1/server for you to peruse. They
37 are completely functional profiles at this time.
40 Chris Gianelloni
41 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
42 x86 Architecture Team
43 Games - Developer