From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:26:29
Peter Weber wrote:
> Hello, > > I now that Chris Gianelloni loves his LiveCD an the GUI-Installer and I > know that he don't like to accept changes he don't support personally. > But I do that know, so please don't kill me: > > Gentoo should have again an Universal-CD again, because: > > * Support for network/networkless-installation on one release-media
The LiveCD does this.
> * More flexibility as with Minimal-CD and LiveCD
The only "flexibility" that the universal has over the LiveCD is in allowing you a little more customization during a networkless install. However, you can always customize after the fact after installing with the installer.
> * Compared with LiveCD the footprint is generally small (necessary > hardware, size of image)
If you want small, use the minimal. Also, you seem to be forgetting the GRP CD, which is required to make the universal CD actually useful.
> * Offers the classic full "Shell-Installation" who is loved by the > gentoo-community (no voodoo-scripts, included stage3 and sources for the > most important packages like vanilla-sources and bootloaders)
Why can't you open a terminal and install? I know I've done it many times from the LiveCD.
> * Could also offer a Ncurses-Installer and requires only some MB of > space on the disk (without X11, Gnome, OpenOffice) > * One consistent-installation way for all platforms (only x86/x86_64 > doesn't offer it currently) > * Debian and Ubuntu (with its alternate-cd) offers currently more > flexible solutions than Gentoo! Hey, who is here the meta-distribution?
Good for them.
> * There are currently unoffical Universal-CD avaiable, we don't need > much work to prepare:
You're always welcome to build your own media if you don't like what we put out. Keep in mind that we are *volunteers*. We like the LiveCD, because it's easier to build and test. That means less time taken and less stress for us. If you don't like it, become a dev and volunteer for release engineering, and build the universal CDs yourself. -- Andrew Gaffney Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator -- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD Markus Hauschild <hauschild.markus@××××××××××.com>