From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o, John Davis <zhen@g.o>, Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>, Gentoo-Base-System <base-system@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: baselayout changes for livecds
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:40:32
> > Well, you cannot expect anything to just fall into place if you drop > this on me right now, and say 'it have to be fixed right now'. How > long have work for catalyst been going? Why didn't you involve me > sooner if you _knew_ there would be baselayout changes?
This was all just thrown on me last week, and with the release pending, I worked my ass off to get it all done. Baselayout was a very small part of all of that. Drobbins did a good job getting catalyst done, but a lot was left up to me with the rest of the system, and tweaking some things in catalyst to be more friendly. Please don't act like it's just you stressed for time, you have no clue. I've worked more on Gentoo this week than I have my normal job. I don't know how I could have possibly notified you sooner.
> > I already stepped back a bit, but I do _not_ see why the livecd stuff > should be overhead for all users, if it will be like 1 out of a 1000 > times actually for startups out there. Is it _really_ that much to > ask catalyst to just install /sbin/ if not present > at the end of stage3 unpack?
Yes, we can make catalyst distribute that, but it's not organized to do that at all, catalyst is really only meant to distribute what is in a portage tree. Which is the opposite mentality from the previous livecd scripts. Again, it's hackish, and if I remember correctly, drobbins specifically forbids doing that. So we'd have to make a baselayout-livecd.ebuild or something to keep it in line. At this point though, I'm stepping back. I've provided the necessary changes, it's up to someone else to determine how to use and distribute them. I'm not a fan of bureaucracy, and don't deal with it well. -Brad -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list