From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: Feature Requests for 2006.1
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:34:54
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > into the 2006.1 profiles. I am looking for suggestions for USE flags to
4 > add to these two profiles, so feel free to make suggestions. Please
5 > cite some reasoning for why you think each USE flag you recommend should
6 > be either enabled or disabled. The profiles are at
7 > profiles/default-linux/x86/dev/2006.1/desktop and
8 > profiles/default-linux/x86/dev/2006.1/server for you to peruse. They
9 > are completely functional profiles at this time.
10
11 In the servers profile...
12
13 logrotate would be nice for obvious reasons on servers.
14
15 chroot might be nice, as long as it is not too invasive (requires lots of
16 extra configuration of the packages that utilize it).
17
18 My main concern is not really what USE flags need to be added as opposed to
19 what USE flags might need to be removed. In my opinion a generic server
20 profile needs to be as generic as possible. For example, cups foomatic gpm
21 and ldap from dev/2006.1/make.defaults should not go into a generic server
22 profile because in some cases they make significant differences in how
23 subsequent packages will be configured - samba and apache2 for examples.
24
25 None of my servers have pointing devices, gpm is not only useless in this
26 situation, it introduces additional unnecessary maintenance. mailwrapper
27 is another example of something that only serves to give me headaches ;)
28
29 I noticed you have STAGE1_USE="nptl nptlonly", does that mean that the CHOST
30 will need to be changed in stage1 tarballs?