From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Gentoo 2004.1 Release
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 02:25:14
1 On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:14:26 -0300 Gustavo Zacarias
2 <gustavoz@g.o> wrote:
3 | By this time i may have had more than enough drinks, but wouldn't it
4 | be useful to handle a separate GRP profile? (or cascading profile).
5 | I mean, the basic profiles are skinny USE-wise and we (i) don't want
6 | to get them hogged... some source-building users mostly want to add
7 | stuff rather than remove, and it's logical. We should add some extras
8 | for GRPs somehow so they can get some goodies/features they lack
9 | because of the USE flags.
10
11 Hrm, that'd also allow us to lock down to specific glibc, gcc, perl,
12 openssl, etc. versions just for GRP. That would mostly remove one of the
13 big problems with GRP as it stands, and move us towards a redhat kind of
14 model for binaries.
17 Ciaran McCreesh, Gentoo XMLcracy Member G03X276
18 (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes)
19 Mail: ciaranm at gentoo.org
20 Web: http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm