From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] ANNOUNCEMENT: Testing phase for 2004.0 begins
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 00:40:16
1 PPC Stages and GRP testing is in progress.
2
3 On 07 Jan 2004, at 21:46, John Davis wrote:
4
5 > Additionally, if you want livecds for your arch, *please mail Daniel
6 > and
7 > CC the list your kernel .configs and bootloader info ASAP.*
8
9 I've cc'ed trance, he's our most qualified person to provide info about
10 these things.
11
12 > There is no guarantee that you will get a livecd if you do not do so -
13 > you have been
14 > warned.
15
16 Could you elaborate on this? What do you mean by 'getting' a livecd?
17
18 Is your request intended for people building/integrating/testing livecd
19 support for architectures other than intel/amd? Additionally, has
20 anyone successfully build a livecd for these architectures? Has the
21 catalyst/genkernel code been frozen now? I would like to reiterate that
22 I stated a few weeks ago that the 01/01/2004 deadline for stable ppc
23 livecd building was unrealistic, here's why (again):
24
25 Unlike for x86, gentoo ppc developers need to 'guess' what minimal set
26 of kernel .configs and minimal set of livecd configurations will work
27 to provide the same level of support as distributors who have access to
28 the machines, and thus can guarantee support. PPC depends heavily on
29 community feedback for that reason. It's like the chicken and egg
30 problem: you can't test ppc .configs for the range of machines they
31 work on without a livecd and you can't test the livecd without a good
32 .config. This process is very frustrating and time consuming. Also,
33 there is no such thing as a virtual machine on PPC, that is able to
34 boot an iso without burning it. So: you have to build, burn and test,
35 rebuild, reburn, retest until you get to a fixpoint (where changing
36 something doesn't improve things). This takes time (at least a few
37 days) and that time needs to be made available in your schedules.
38 Please keep that in mind for scheduling future deadlines. You had been
39 warned before ;-)
40
41 Frankly, to me your last sentence reads like a threat that you or
42 somebody else intends to be very hard on deadlines and start finger
43 pointing, even though I stated before they were unrealistic at least
44 for the domain I'm managing. Any fingers pointed at me will be rerouted
45 to what I've said before. I don't think any ppc developer (volunteers,
46 including myself) deserves to be punished for releng scheduling issues.
47 This isn't a ppc is holding back gentoo issue, because as everyone
48 knows ppc would be the first to applaud multi-architecture initiatives.
49 This is just a matter of correct scheduling.
50
51 Pieter
55 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list