From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Will mirrorselect edit PORTAGE_BINHOST too?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:09:12
On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 13:50, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> If we are to "promote" the use of "emerge --getbinpkg" we need to inform the > user to setup the PORTAGE_BINHOST variable in /etc/make.conf. Will we be able > to direct the user to mirrorselect to intelligently fill in a good mirror, or > will the user have to do this manually?
Afaik, mirrorselect doesn't support setting PORTAGE_BINHOST yet. I have not actually checked, but would be suprised if it did. It would indeed be good if PORTAGE_BINHOST could just use the GENTOO_MIRRORS setting for looking for binary packages. Maybe this would be a reasonable default. Could you please talk to carpaski about this and work out some solution that will be acceptable? Remember that if something doesn't work right, it is always possible and often beneficial to fix Portage to make it work better for our users and to avoid unwanted complications in our docs. Regards, Daniel -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list