From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] AMD64 dual-core testing on 2007.0?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 16:31:38
On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 10:25 +1000, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote: > > I can't tell yet whether it's hardware or software, but I'm guessing the > > kernel at this point rather than hardware -- I have some > > /var/log/messages traces that don't look like hardware. Once I get a > > stable OS, I'll load Gentoo from it and do the real debugging. The > > 2.4.20 kernel in Gentoo stable has to be better that the 2.4.18s the > > other distros seem to be carrying. > > What I find to be a cause of a lot of stability issues. Probably even > more so on multiprocessor/core systems is preemption. Voluntary > preemption is OK, but other preemption still seems to be a bit flaky at > places.
Umm... What? I use preemption all the time on all of my machines, which are *all* multi-processor or multi-core. The kernel preemption works just fine on all of them. What tends to be the problem is shoddy APIC or ACPI implementations on the cheaper (read, not server/workstation class) motherboards. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering Strategic Lead Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee Gentoo Foundation

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] AMD64 dual-core testing on 2007.0? "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>