From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: livewire@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 planning
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 15:17:19
1 On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 18:59, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 > I didn't see Bob's original message, but he, Pieter and now myself are
4 > going to be saying exactly the same thing.
5 >
6 > Quarterly releases are too ambitious. We need to slow down.
7 >
8 > Right now, we're so focused on quarterly releases that we cannot take
9 > enough time to develop features that may take longer than three months to
10 > code, test and get ready to go.
11 >
12 > As Pieter pointed out earlier, if we want to release something in July and
13 > do proper QA on it ahead of time, we don't really have much time to do any
14 > actual *development*. Who cares if we're releasing 4 new versions a year
15 > if they're all identical save for minor cosmetic/typo stuff?
16 >
17 > Quarterly releases need to stop.
18 >
19 > --kurt
20
21 Kurt -
22 I've been thinking this over for quite awhile now and have vacilated
23 between continuing quarterly releases and moving to something else.
24 After much thought (and believe me, there has been a lot - during 2004.0
25 I wanted nothing to do with quarterly releases), I have decided that for
26 the immediate future, quarterly releases are the way to go for the
27 following reasons:
28
29 Gentoo users need and want quarterly releases. If there is a larger time
30 gap between releases, they are stuck waiting for updated stages, GRP,
31 etc. This leaves them with a longer install (more packages to update
32 because the release media is dated) and pretty much negates the effect
33 of GRP (who wants to use GRP if the versions are old).
34
35 Quarterly releases force good QA througout Gentoo. Building release GRP
36 every 3 months or so allows the more critical (kde, gnome, assorted core
37 utils, etc) to field more bugs and fix them. If something doesn't work
38 for releng, we report it to them and the problem is fixed. I cannot tell
39 you how many bugs we have fixed in packages like baselayout because our
40 release cycle is so testing intensive. The current release cycle scheme
41 is beneficial not just for releng, it helps Gentoo as a whole.
42
43 I think where we are getting caught up on quarterly releases is the
44 distinction between what kind of features go where. Releng cannot
45 support any feature request which does not directly affect our release
46 media. Portage feature requests do not belong on the releng feature
47 request list because we have no control over them. Does infra take
48 feature requests from hardened? Its a similar situation.
49
50 The release cycle timeframe is fine, but it may not seem that way
51 because a lot of features that do not belong in releng get lumped into
52 it. What Gentoo really needs is two feature request lists - one for
53 Gentoo as a whole, perhaps using the release cycle as a guideline
54 (implement GPG signing by 2005.1), but not putting other subproject's
55 duties onto releng, and one for releng (which would deal with release
56 specific features, such as adding in a log for dmesg or better labeling
57 our LiveCDs). If we have this distinction I believe that a lot of these
58 concerns will go away.
59
60 Cheers,
61 //zhen
62 --
63 John Davis
64 Gentoo Linux Developer
65 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>
66
67 ----
68 GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
69 Fingerprint: 2364 71BD 4BC2 705D F338 FF70 6650 1235 1946 2D47