From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Checklists for testers and QA
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:53:35
1 Rémi Cardona wrote:
2 > Do we know how many people actually use the software on the live media?
3 > Do they care if it's not 100% functional?
4
5 I don't know about new users, but I suspect many veteran users use
6 Gentoo media only in the extremely unlikely event that they've blasted
7 their system to the point where it's necessary, or when they've acquired
8 a new box. The other major use case, of course, is giving media to
9 friends who are unfamiliar with Gentoo.
10
11 There have been occasions where I would boot the Gentoo (and others')
12 LiveDVD on my Windows workstation at my day job and use it as a Linux
13 workstation, but VMware Server pretty much eliminated that use case.
14 Corporate IT policy forbids me from running beta software, at least that
15 of vendors, because of licensing issues, but that may not apply to open
16 source betas.
17
18 > But, wouldn't it be interesting to find out the usage patterns for our
19 > users before making a big list of things to check?
20 >
21 > Maybe not enough users do care to make it block QA and releng's time
22 > when making new releases.
23
24 I can't speak for either QA or releng, but you may have a point. Veteran
25 users most likely will have the tools and motivation to file accurate
26 bugs without a checklist, and newbies probably will be looking for
27 something simpler, like,
28
29 a. Does it come up to a desktop, find my network, can I browse the web,
30 read email and edit a document in OpenOffice?
31
32 b. Why is the start button in the upper left corner?
33
34 c. Does the wireless work? Does the sound work? Where's the &$^#& virus
35 scanner?
36
37 d. Well, I've had enough of Linux -- did it trash my Windows install, or
38 can I eject the CD and give it to my 13-year-old gamer cousin and get
39 back to work?
40
41 :)
42 --