From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Gentoo 2004.1 Release
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:25:56
1 On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 08:32:15PM -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > But something like GLEP 26 "package updates" is not a required part of
3 > Gentoo. I think it's an admirable goal once someone figures out a way to get
4 > it working predictably and reliably, and users could enjoy this capability.
5 > At the same time, its benefits need to be weighed against the robustness of
6 > the actual implementation (is it worth it? Does it work well enough) and the
7 > amount of developer and infrastructure resources it could eat up (which, if
8 > too ambitious, could be HUGE.)
9
10 I don't mind if a project is (too) ambitious. If enough developers are
11 willing to put time and other resources in it, I'm all in favor. It is just
12 this kind of ambitious projects that makes Gentoo different from the other
13 distributions. We allow ambition and far-fetched visions to be formed and
14 developed.
15
16 Many developers will probably see no real opportunity (for Gentoo or for
17 themselves) in such a project. That's fine, but other developers who do
18 should get the chance to try and see. Who knows?
19
20 Let's just hope that those developers can take a "see, told ye" answer
21 because they might receive that :)
22
23 Wkr,
24 Sven Vermeulen